SubjectRe: [CRIU] Introspecting userns relationships to other namespaces?
On July 9, 2016 4:26:28 PM GMT+09:00, Andrew Vagin <> wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 10:05:18PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> James Bottomley <> writes:

>> > As you understood, I meant /proc/ns/<inum> (damn mobile phone
>> > completions).

>> > To be honest, I think this argument is rubbish. If we're afraid of
>> > giving out a list of all the namespaces, it means we're afraid
>> > some security bug and we're trying to obscure it by making the list
>> > hard to get. All we've done is allayed fears about the bug but the
>> > hackers still know the portals to get through.
>> >
>> > If such a bug exists, it will be possible to exploit it by simply
>> > reconstructing the information from the individual process
>> > so obscurity doesn't protect us and all it does is give us a false
>> > sense of security. If such a bug doesn't exist, then all the
>> > mechanisms currently in place (like no re-entry to prior namespace)
>> > should protect us and we can give out the list.
>> >
>> > Let's deal with the world as we'd like it to be (no obscure
>> > bugs) and accept the consequences and the responsibility for fixing
>> > them if we turn out to be slightly incorrect. We'll end up in a
>> > better place than security by obscurity would land us.
>> No. That is not the fear. The permission checks on
>> are different than if the namespace is bind mounted somewhere.
>> That was done deliberately and with a reasonable amount of
>> You are asking to throw those permission checks out. The answer is
>> Furthermore there is a much clearer reason not to go with a list of
>> namespaces. A list of all namespaces breaks CRIU. As you have
>> it the list will change depending upon which machine you restore a
>> checkpoint on. I honestly don't know what kind of havoc that will
>> but it is certainly something we won't be able to checkpoint no
>> how hard we try.
>It's right. I hadn't thought about this.

Me neither. Sorry for the prior outburst.

I think this means we're back to exposing owning userns in the /proc /<pid >/ns directory.

>> A global list of namespaces especially of the kind that you can open
>> and get a handle to the namespace is just not appropriate.
>> I know inode numbers comes darn close to names but they aren't really
>> names and if it comes to it we can figure out how to preserve an
>> applications view of it all across a checkpoint/restart. So far it
>> hasn't proven necessary to preserve any inode numbers across
>> checkpoint/restart but again it is theoretically possible if it
>> necessary.
>> Throwing away checkpoint/restart support for the sake of
>> checkpoint/restart is a no-go.
>> Containers fundamentally imply you don't have global visibility,
>> and that is a good thing.
>All these thoughts about security make me thinking that kcmp is what we
>should use here. It's maybe something like this:
>kcmp(pid1, pid2, KCMP_NS_USERNS, fd1, fd2)
>- to check if userns of the fd1 namepsace is equal to the fd2 userns
>kcmp(pid1, pid2, KCMP_NS_PARENT, fd1, fd2)
>- to check if a parent namespace of the fd1 pidns is equal to fd pidns.
>fd1 and fd2 is file descriptors to namespace files.
>So if we want to build a hierarchy, we need to collect all namespaces
>and then enumerate them to check dependencies with help of kcmp.

Sure, but we need a method for opening the filehandles first .. .

>> Eric

  Last update: 2016-07-09 13:01    [W:0.106 / U:3.492 seconds]