SubjectRe: v4.1 to v4.7: regression in tsc2005 driver
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 07:47:36AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 09:23:56AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:25:58AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > There's "userspace running as root" and "userspace userspace" :-).
> >
> > I do not really see any difference form the kernel POW.

> > > Well, you are commited now, like it or not, X people did it for you
> > > :-(.
> > >
> > > Because there's no other reasonable way to use xinput --set-prop...
> >
> > Well, X is going to have to fix it. How am I supposed to control my
> > devices in multi-seat environment if I use the same hardware (or if I
> > have device with multiple touchscreens)? They all will have the same
> > name (well, all mice, then all keyboards, etc). Let's add Peter to the
> > fold...
> >
> > In the mean time you can adjust the name or use XID instead.
>
> X has partially fixed this a few years ago. All input drivers (that
> matter) export a Device Node property that sets the device node for each
> device.
>
> $ xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" | grep "Device Node"
> Device Node (261): "/dev/input/event4"
>
> Based on that you can get the udev device and work your way into any of the
> sysfs tree. Or do whatever else you want.

The issue is not that I can't figure out sysfs path for a device, the
issue is that xinput does not accept anything but name or XID and I may
have multiple devices with the same name in the system.

> But other than that there isn't anything in X to fix. xinput is primarily a
> debugging tool and it does name resolution for convenience. But it's not a
> tool for complex configurations. It does exactly what it needs to do, if you

OK, I do not believe that this information was conveyed clearly enough.
Apparently some setups use it for real configuration.

> need something that's more complicated and relies on information not
> available to the X device itself then you'll need to write a custom tool
> that does what you need. sorry.

Pavel, ^^^^

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

  Last update: 2016-07-21 01:01    [W:0.116 / U:0.408 seconds]