SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3] extend kexec_file_load system call
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 09:26:39AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 05:55:33PM +1000, Stewart Smith wrote:
> > Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@armlinux.org.uk> writes:

> > > I think you misunderstood my point.
> > >
> > > On ARM, we do not go:
> > >
> > > kernel (kexec'd from) -> boot loader -> kernel (kexec'd to)
> > >
> > > but we go:
> > >
> > > kernel (kexec'd from) -> kernel (kexec'd to)
> > >
> > > There's no intermediate step involving any bootloader.
> > >
> > > Hence, my point is that the dtb loaded by kexec is _only_ used by the
> > > kernel which is being kexec'd to, not by the bootloader, nor indeed
> > > the kernel which it is loaded into.
> > >
> > > Moreover, if you read the bit that I quoted (which is what I was
> > > replying to), you'll notice that it is talking about the DTB loaded
> > > by kexec somehow causing the _bootloader_ to be redirected to an
> > > alternative console. This point is wholely false on ARM.
> >
> > Ahh.. I missed the bootloader bit there.
> >
> > In which case, we're the same on OpenPOWER, there is no intermediate
> > bootloader - in our case we have linux (with kexec) taking on what uboot
> > or grub is typically used for on other platforms.
>
> Indeed - maybe Eric knows better, but I can't see any situation where
> the dtb we load via kexec should ever affect "the bootloader", unless
> the "kernel" that's being loaded into kexec is "the bootloader".
>
> Now, going back to the more fundamental issue raised in my first reply,
> about the kernel command line.
>
> On x86, I can see that it _is_ possible for userspace to specify a
> command line, and the kernel loading the image provides the command
> line to the to-be-kexeced kernel with very little checking. So, if
> your kernel is signed, what stops the "insecure userspace" loading
> a signed kernel but giving it an insecure rootfs and/or console?

It is not kexec specific. I could do this for regular boot too, right?

Command line options are not signed. I thought idea behind secureboot
was to execute only trusted code and command line options don't enforce
you to execute unsigned code.

So it sounds like different class of security problems which you are
referring to and not necessarily covered by secureboot or signed
kernel.

Vivek

  Last update: 2016-07-13 15:41    [W:0.317 / U:0.184 seconds]