SubjectRe: Adding module support for __ro_after_init
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 11:42 PM, Jessica Yu <jeyu@redhat.com> wrote:
> +++ Rusty Russell [05/06/16 14:39 +0930]:
>>
>> Kees Cook <keescook@google.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Rusty,
>>>
>>> I'd love to get your thoughts on the best way to support
>>> __ro_after_init markings for modules. Are the r/o markings done after
>>> module __init runs? If so, this should make things easy, and then we
>>> just need to move .data..ro_after_init into .rodata at link time. If
>>> not, then we'd need to explicitly make this section read-only after
>>> _init.
>>

>> As you might expect, the sections are made read-only before anything
>> runs. We'll need to do the latter, which means it needs to be
>> page-aligned. (Well we could put it in the same page as .rodata, and
>> just not protect that fully until after init).
>

> Hi Rusty, Kees, :-)
>
> Right, RO protection is enabled in load_module() before module __init gets
> run. So I guess there are two ways to go about this: either (1) keep
> __ro_after_init with the rest of rodata and toggle RO protection after
> __init
> runs, but I think we'd probably want to keep this protection before anything
> executes. Or (2) modify layout_sections() in the module loader to place
> .data..ro_after_init data in its own set of page(s) so that we can toggle RO
> on/off independently of the other module sections, and set them to RO only
> after module init runs.
> So perhaps the modified module memory layout might look like..
> [text] [rodata] [ro after init] [writable data]
>
> I don't think (2) should be hard to implement in the module loader (well,
> at first glance :-), maybe I'm missing something), but I could go ahead and
> give a patch a shot.

I would agree that "2" sound best. I'm happy to help review and test
any patches. And after having looked at this myself, I'm curious to
see the solution since I couldn't figure out how the layout code
worked. :)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Chrome OS & Brillo Security

  Last update: 2016-06-07 18:01    [W:0.073 / U:0.656 seconds]