SubjectRe: Review of ptrace Yama ptrace_scope description
Hi Kees,

On 06/28/2016 10:55 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
> <mtk.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jann,
>>

>> On 06/25/2016 04:30 PM, Jann Horn wrote:

> Maybe clarify "additional credentials that may exist in memory only and thus..."

Done.

>>> (namespaced) CAP_SYS_PTRACE is also sufficient here.
>>>

>>> Both here and in the "admin-only attach" case, it is IMO important to
>>> note that creating a user namespace effectively removes the Yama
>>> protection because the owner of a namespace, when accessing its
>>> contents from outside, is relatively capable.
>>>
>>> This means that when a process tries to use namespaces to sandbox
>>> itself, it inadvertently makes itself more accessible.
>>>
>>> (This could probably be worked around in the kernel, but such a
>>> workaround would likely not be default, but rather opt-in via a new
>>> flag for clone() and unshare() or so.)
>>

>> Tanks for catching this!
>>
>> So I've made that section of text:
>>
>> A process that has the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability can update the
>> /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope file with one of the following
>> values:
>>
>> 0 ("classic ptrace permissions")
>> No additional restrictions on operations that perform
>> PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH checks (beyond those imposed by the com‐
>> moncap and other LSMs).
>>
>> The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.
>>
>> 1 ("restricted ptrace") [default value]
>> When performing an operation that requires a
>> PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH check, the calling process must either
>> have the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability in the user namespace of
>> the target process or it have a predefined relationship
>> with the target process. By default, the predefined rela‐
>> tionship is that the target process must be a child of the
>> caller.
>
> More accurately, must be a descendant of the caller (grand child is fine, etc).

Thanks, Fixed.

>> A target process can employ the prctl(2) PR_SET_PTRACER
>> operation to declare a different PID that is allowed to
>> perform PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations on the target. See
>> the kernel source file Documentation/security/Yama.txt for
>> further details.
>
> I would say "additional" pid to perform... since its ancestors can
> still ptrace it too.

Ahhh -- thanks. I'd not understood that to be the case. Fixed now.

>> The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.
>>
>> 2 ("admin-only attach")
>> Only processes with the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability in the
>> user namespace of the target process may perform
>> PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations or trace children that employ
>> PTRACE_TRACEME.
>>
>> 3 ("no attach")
>> No process may perform PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations or
>> trace children that employ PTRACE_TRACEME.
>>
>> Once this value has been written to the file, it cannot be
>> changed.
>>
>> With respect to values 1 and 2, note that creating a user names‐
>> pace effectively removes the Yama protection, because the owner of
>> a namespace, when accessing its members from outside, has
>> CAP_SYS_PTRACE within the namespace. This means that when a
>> process tries to use namespaces to sandbox itself, it inadver‐
>> tently weakens the protections offered by the Yama LSM.
>
> Perhaps clarify "has CAP_SYS_PTRACE within all its namespaces, so the
> ancestry rule is bypassed"?

So, I've reworked that last piece somewhat to something
I hope is a little clearer:

With respect to values 1 and 2, note that creating a new user
namespace effectively removes the protection offered by Yama.
This is because a process in the parent user namespace whose
effective UID matches the UID of the creator of a child namespace
has all capabilities (including CAP_SYS_PTRACE) when performing
operations within the child user namespace (and further-removed
descendants of that namespace). Consequently, when a process
tries to use user namespaces to sandbox itself, it inadvertently
weakens the protections offered by the Yama LSM.

> Otherwise it looks great, thanks for writing it up!

No problem. Thanks for reviewing!

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

  Last update: 2016-06-29 07:41    [W:2.496 / U:0.004 seconds]