SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] lib/vsprintf: Add support to store cpumask
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 23:50:27 +0200
Rasmus Villemoes <linux@rasmusvillemoes.dk> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28 2016, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
>
> > But people don't usually run "make smatch" on debug kernels.
> > trace_printk() currently is not allowed to be used in the kernel. When
> > it is used, a big ugly banner is posted on boot up saying that the
> > kernel is in "debug mode" and is "unstable" (even though it isn't) just
> > to scare people enough to never compile with a trace_printk() in their
> > code. If they need a permanent trace_printk() then they need to use
> > tracepoints.
>
> But don't tracepoints also pass through vbin_printf? IOW, are there no
> print-like function calls in the kernel where a static checker warning
> for %pX would be worthwhile?

tracepoints don't use vbin_printf() but you are right, they do save the
data in binary format parse them out later.

Perhaps we should set up something in the static checker to test for
this in TP_printk() within the TRACE_EVENT() macros.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2016-06-29 00:41    [W:0.072 / U:0.124 seconds]