SubjectRe: Freeing alternatives sections after module init?
Date
Jessica Yu <jeyu@redhat.com> writes:
> Hi Rusty,

Hi Jessica,

> I noticed that the module loader keeps .altinstructions and
> .altinstr_replacement (which are normally freed after kernel init) in
> core memory after module init, so these sections are never freed for
> modules.
>
> In fact, the module loader seems to keep a number of sections normally
> marked between __init_begin and __init_end (which are then freed in
> free_initmem()) in module core memory, for example on x86, there's
> also .parainstructions and .altinstr_aux.
>
> I was just wondering if this discrepancy was intentional :-)
> Shouldn't these sections be freed after init? Though it probably
> doesn't hurt to keep some of these sections in memory,
> .altinstr_replacement is (for whatever reason) an executable section,
> and is technically not needed anymore after apply_alternatives()
> copies the replacement instructions, so it might be good to free it.

No intention on my part! Definitely nice to fix; I look forward to your
patch.

And sorry for the delay on review of ro_after_init; I'll look at it
today I promise!

Cheers,
Rusty.

  Last update: 2016-06-29 00:21    [W:0.473 / U:0.212 seconds]