SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the audit tree with the security tree
On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:05:33AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> >> For someone not familiar with s390, compat or not, where would you
> >> suggest we place the audit_syscall_entry() call?
> >
> > I was thinking of a more generic solution for all architectures: for
> > example setting a new TIF flag within do_syscall_trace_enter which
> > indicates that audit_syscall_entry needs be called and then add a
> > conditional call to the SYSCALL_DEFINE and COMPAT_SYSCALL_DEFINE macros.
> >
> > That way audit_syscall_entry would always receive already properly sign and
> > zero extended system call parameters. At the downside this would increase
> > the kernel text size by probably ~370 conditional branches and add two more
> > instructions on the system call hot path.
> >
> > But that's something that could be done independently from your patch,
> > which already improves the current situation.
>
> My immediate concern is making sure that we are at least recording the
> arguments correctly in the audit record. My simple tests look okay,
> but as I said before, I'm far from a s390 expert and your initial
> comment made it sound like there were still problems with how we were
> recording the arguments. Can you either confirm that we are logging
> the arguments correctly, or provide a suggestion on how to get the
> right values? That would be most helpful at this point.

The arguments are correct, except that they are missing sign and zero
extension to full 64 bit. However I would expect that the audit subsystem
will only work on the lower 32 bits anyway for compat tasks. So that
shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a bit concerned about user space pointers passed as argument for compat
tasks. These need to mask out 33 instead of 32 bits. This is of course
system call specific and I don't know enough about audit to tell if it
could be a problem.

  Last update: 2016-06-24 18:01    [W:0.921 / U:0.156 seconds]