SubjectRe: DRM DMA Engine
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Jose Abreu <Jose.Abreu@synopsys.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot! With your help I was able to implement all the
>>> needed logic. Sorry to bother you but I have one more question.
>>> Right now I can initialize and configure the vdma correctly but I
>>> can only send one frame. I guess when the dma completes
>>> transmission I need to ask drm for a new frame, right? Because
>>> the commit function starts the vdma correctly but then the dma
>>> halts waiting for a new descriptor.
>> DRM has a continuous scanout model, i.e. when userspace doesn't give
>> you a new frame you're supposed to keep scanning out the current one.
>> So you need to rearm your upload code with the same drm_framebuffer if
>> userspace hasn't supplied a new one since the last time before the
>> vblank period starts.
>>
>> This is different to v4l, where userspace has to supply each frame
>> (and the kernel gets angry when there's not enough frames and signals
>> an underrun of the queue). This is because drm is geared at desktops,
>> and there it's perfectly normal to show the exact same frame for a
>> long time.
>> -Daniel
>
> Thanks, I was thinking this was similar to v4l. I am now able to
> send multiple frames so it is finally working! I have one little
> implementation detail: The controller that I am using supports
> deep color mode but I am using FB CMA helpers to create the
> framebuffer and I've seen that the supported bpp in these helpers
> only goes up to 32, right? Does this means that with these
> helpers I can't use deep color? Can I implement this deep color
> mode (48bpp) using a custom fb or do I also need custom gem
> allocation functions (Right now I am using GEM CMA helpers)?

Suprising the cma doesn't take pixel_format into account. If this
really doesn't work, pls fix up the cma helpers, not roll your own
copypasta ;-)

Note that the fbdev emulation itself (maybe that's what threw you off)
only supports legacy rgb formats up to 32bits. But native kms can
support anything, we just might need to add the DRM_FOURCC codes for
that.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2016-06-15 13:01    [W:0.085 / U:0.052 seconds]