SubjectRe: Please review arch/x86/kernel/pvclock.c to fix Docker/Mono crashes in new Kernels

On 16/05/2016 20:56, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
>>
>> All of those fixes were intended to fix incorrect times being
>> reported, not segfaults. Weird.
>
> I'm assuming it's "time going backwards". I can easily see that
> causing segfaults.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1450584 says the
crashes occurs "more frequently on a vbox vm with multiple CPUs
configured". If vbox tells the VM to use the vdso when it shouldn't
(because the TSC is not stable on the host), bad things could happen.

However, based on the Xamarin bug comments and
http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-devel-list/2015-August/043181.html,
it looks like vbox after all doesn't use pvclock and the trigger seems
to be https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/c70e1b475f37:

With __always_inline on vread_pvclock, mono crashed. With noinline on
vread_pvclock, mono doesn't crash. Weirdest part is that the pvclock
isn't even used during my tests.

Oleg, what is your environment exactly? You mentioned Docker, but are
you also virtualizing and if so what is your hypervisor?

Taloth, do you know if it can it be reproduced under Xen or KVM or
bare-metal? I'd trust them more than VirtualBox regarding timekeeping.
I saw Amazon Linux mentioned in the mono mailing list archives which
would point to Xen. Xen doesn't use the pvclock vdso code either, though.

Thanks,

Paolo

  Last update: 2016-05-17 13:21    [W:0.822 / U:0.016 seconds]