SubjectRe: [RFC] Create an audit record of USB specific details
On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:54:56PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On April 4, 2016 6:17:23 PM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > Audit has some odd requirements placed on it by some of its users. I think
> > > most notable in this particular case is the need to take specific actions,
> > > including panicking the system, when audit records can't be sent to userspace
> > > and are "lost". Granted, it's an odd requirement, definitely not the
> > > norm/default configuration, but supporting weird stuff like this has allowed
> > > Linux to be used on some pretty interesting systems that wouldn't have been
> > > possible otherwise. Looking quickly at some of the kobject/uvent code, it
> > > doesn't appear that the uevent/netlink channel has this capability.
> >
> > Are you sure you can loose netlink messages? If you do, you know you
> > lost them, so isn't that good enough?
>
> Last I checked netlink didn't have a provision for panicking the system, so
> no :)

Userspace can panic the system if it detects this, so why not just do
that?

> > > It also just noticed that it looks like userspace can send fake uevent
> > > messages;
> >
> > That's how your machine boots properly :)
>
> Yes, it looks like that is how the initial devices are handled, right?
> Allowing something like that is probably okay for a variety of reasons, but
> I expect users would want to restrict access beyond this single trusted
> process. The good news is that I think you should be able to do that with a
> combination of DAC and MAC.

Again, please step back. What exactly are you trying to do here? What
is the requirement?

> > > I haven't looked at it closely enough yet, but that may be a concern
> > > for users which restrict/subdivide root using a LSM ... although it is
> > > possible that the LSM policy could help here. I'm thinking aloud a bit right
> > > now, but for SELinux the netlink controls aren't very granular and sysfs can
> > > be tricky so I can't say for certain about blocking fake events from userspace
> > > using LSMs/SELinux.
> >
> > uevents are not tied into LSMs from what I can tell, so I don't
> > understand wht you are talking about here, sorry.
>
> Perhaps I'm mistaken, but uevents are sent to userspace via netlink which
> does have LSM controls. There also appears to be a file I/O mechanism via
> sysfs which also has LSM controls.

And do any of them look at uevents through these mechanisms?

I doubt they care...

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2016-04-05 06:01    [W:1.369 / U:0.000 seconds]