SubjectRe: [BUG] x86/efi: MMRs no longer properly mapped after switch to isolated page table
On Wed, 27 Apr, at 10:41:32AM, Alex Thorlton wrote:

> From what I know, this works because the first PGD entry (the one
> containing the identity mappings) of the trampoline_pgd is shared with
> the main kernel PGD (init_level4_pgt), so when __map_region maps this
> stuff into the trampoline_pgd, we get it in the kernel PGD as well.

Correct.

> The way I understand it, the motivation behind this change is to isolate
> the EFI runtime services code/data from the regular kernel page tables,

Yep.

> but it appears that we've isolated a bit more than that. I do
> understand that if we were doing an actual EFI callback, we'd switch
> over to the efi_pgd, where we'd have this stuff mapped in, but, until
> now, we've been able to read these MMRs using the regular kernel page
> table without issues.
>
> Please let me know what you guys think about this issue, and if you have
> any suggestions for possible solutions. Any input is greatly
> appreciated!

The issue is that you're relying on the EFI mapping code to map these
regions for you, and that's a bug. These regions have nothing to do
with EFI.

Arguably it's always been a bug. You're not alone though, there were
also other pieces of code piggy-backing on the EFI mapping functions,
and EFI code piggy-backing on the regular kernel mapping functions,
see 452308de6105 ("x86/efi: Fix boot crash by always mapping boot
service regions into new EFI page tables").

I agree with Boris' suggestion that removing the "if (is_uv1_hub())"
check in uv_system_init() is probably the way to go, since it should
always be the responsibility of uv_system_init() to setup these
mappings.

  Last update: 2016-04-29 11:21    [W:0.242 / U:0.016 seconds]