SubjectRe: [BUG] x86/efi: MMRs no longer properly mapped after switch to isolated page table
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 08:41:28PM -0500, Alex Thorlton wrote:
> In this particular instance, it's not using the EFI page table - it's
> showing that the register isn't mapped into the main kernel page table,
> via the bad paging request. The issue isn't that there's something
> wrong with the EFI page table, but that something appears to be missing
> from the kernel table.

So my question stands: you said 67a9108ed4313 is causing this and this
commit creates an EFI-specific page table and that shouldn't have
anything to do with how the MMR stuff is mapped, should it?

> Well, quite a while back, these MMRs got mapped in using
> init_extra_mapping_uc in map_low_mmrs. Back then, yes, they were mapped
> straight into the kernel page table.
>
> After d2f7cbe7b26a74 ("x86/efi: Runtime services virtual mapping") was
> introduced (I'm sure you remember the BIOS issue we had a while back) we
> had to fall back to using EFI_OLD_MEMMAP, so for a while we relied on
> efi_ioremap.

Hmm, but you see my confusion, right? Why is init_extra_mapping_uc()
influenced by the EFI changes? It uses __init_extra_mapping() and it
maps into init_mm's pgd.

> Eventually we got a BIOS fix that allowed us to start using the new
> memmap scheme, at which point we removed the init_extra_mapping_uc()s,
> since the efi_map_region code appeared to be doing what we needed.

Why would you even do that? Why are you even mapping MMRs using EFI
facilities?

I'm more confused today.

So what I see from here is this:

* MMRs and EFI shouldn't have anything in common. Imagine there were an
UV box without EFI (you probably are going to say there's no such thing
but imagine anyway): how are you going to map the MMR space then?

* I think you should restore the old case where you mapped the MMRs
using init_extra_mapping_uc().

And I think

d394f2d9d8e1 ("x86/platform/UV: Remove EFI memmap quirk for UV2+")

was wrong in doing

+ if (is_uv1_hub())
+ map_low_mmrs();

for the simple fact that MMRs mapping and EFI shouldn't depend on one
another.

So the proper fix would be to remove the if- check.

Or am I missing something here and MMRs need EFI?

(However, UV1 apparently works fine without it).

Right?

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

  Last update: 2016-04-28 15:21    [W:0.077 / U:0.528 seconds]