SubjectRe: sched: horrible way to detect whether a task has been preempted
On Fri 2016-04-08 09:31:31, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 10:03:04AM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> > The big advantage about checking the stack is that it does not add
> > any overhead to the scheduler code, does not eat any TIF flag or
> > memory. The overhead is only when we are migrating a task and it is
> > charged to a separate process.
>
> My biggest concern about checking the stack for preempt_schedule_irq()
> is that it's kind of brittle:
>
> - What if the preemption code changes such that it's no longer a
> reliable indicator? For example, what if preempt_schedule_irq() is
> only called in some places, and a new __preempt_schedule_irq() is
> called elsewhere?
>
> - Or due to some obscure gcc optimization like partial inlining or
> sibling tail calls, preempt_schedule_irq() doesn't show up on the
> stack?
>
> - Or the code could silently break if there were another static
> preempt_schedule_irq symbol somewhere (though we could prevent this by
> searching all symbols to ensure there are no duplicates).
>
> These scenarios are unlikely, but they could conceivably happen...

You are right.

> Anyway, we really wouldn't have to eat a TIF flag. We could instead add
> something to task_struct. I can at least propose it. If anybody
> doesn't like it, maybe they'll suggest something else, or maybe then we
> can go with checking the stack.

Yup, we should give the extra task struct stuff a try. Another
advantage is that it would be easier to port for another
architectures.

Best Regards,
Petr

  Last update: 2016-04-11 10:41    [W:0.350 / U:0.464 seconds]