SubjectRe: Overlapping ioremap() calls, set_memory_*() semantics
On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 10:51 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@hpe.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 10:44 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > * Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Could you outline a specific case where it's done intentionally - and
> > > the purpose behind that intention?
> >
> > The term "overlapping" is a bit misleading.
>
> To the driver author its overlapping, its overlapping on the physical
> address.

Right, and I just wanted to state that there is no overlapping in VMA.

> > This is "alias" mapping -- a physical address range is mapped to
> > multiple virtual address ranges.  There is no overlapping in VMA.
>
> Meanwhile this is what happens behind the scenes, and because of this
> a driver developer may end up with two different offsets for
> overlapping physical addresses ranges, so long as they use the right
> offset they are *supposed* to get then the intended cache type
> effects. The resulting cache type effect will depend on architecture
> and intended cache type on the ioremap call. Furthermore there are
> modifiers possible, such as was MTRR (and fortunately now deprecated
> on kernel driver use), and those effects are now documented in
> Documentation/x86/pat.txt on a table for PAT/not-PAT systems, which
> I'll past here for convenience:

Thanks for updating the documentation!

> MTRR Non-PAT   PAT    Linux ioremap value        Effective memory type
>                                                   Non-PAT |  PAT
>      PAT
>      |PCD
>      ||PWT
> WC   000      WB      _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB            WC   |   WC
> WC   001      WC      _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WC            WC*  |   WC
> WC   010      UC-     _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS      WC*  |   UC

In the above case, effective PAT is also WC.

> [...]
> the overlap was hard: apart from changing the driver to use different
> offset bases in different regions the driver also has a debug
> userspace filemap for the entire register map, the code there would
> need to be modified to use the right virtual address base depending on
> the virtual address accessed. The qib driver already has logic which
> could be mimic'd for this fortunatley, but still - this is
> considerable work. One side hack I had hoped for was that overlapping
> ioremap*() calls with different page attribute types would work even
> if the 2nd returned __iomem address was not used, fortunately this
> does not work though, only using the right virtual address would
> ensure the right caching technique is used. Since this driver was
> being phased out, we decided to annotate it required pat to be
> disabled and warn the user if they booted with PAT enabled.
>
>   * ivtv: the driver does not have the PCI space mapped out
> separately, and in fact it actually does not do the math for the
> framebuffer, instead it lets
> the device's own CPU do that and assume where its at, see
> ivtvfb_get_framebuffer() and CX2341X_OSD_GET_FRAMEBUFFER, it has a get
> but not a setter. Its not clear if the firmware would make a split
> easy. As with ipath, we decided to just require PAT disabled. This was
> a reasonable compromise as the hardware was really old and we
> estimated perhaps only a few lost souls were using this device driver,
> and for them it should be reasonable to disable PAT.
>
> Fortunately in retrospect it was only old hardware devices that used
> overlapping ioremap() calls, but we can't be sure things will remain
> that way. It used to be that only framebuffer devices used
> write-combining, these days we are seeing infiniband (ipath was one,
> qib another) use write-combining for PIO TX for some sort of blast
> feature, I would not be surprised if in the future other device
> drivers found a quirky use for this. The ivtv case is the *worst*
> example we can expect where the firmware hides from us the exact
> ranges for write-combining, that we should somehow just hope no one
> will ever do again.
>
> > Hence, alias mapping itself is a supported use-case.  However, alias
> > mapping with different cache types is not as it causes undefined
> > behavior.
>
> Just as-is at times some types of modifiers, such as was with MTRR.
>
> In retrospect, based on a cursory review through the phasing of MTRR,
> we only have ipath left (and that will be removed soon) and we just
> don't know what ivtv does. If we wanted a more in-depth analysis we
> might be able to use something like coccinelle to inspect for
> overlapping calls, but that may be a bit of a challenge in and of
> itself. It may be easier to phase that behavior out by first warning
> against it for a few cycles, and then just laying a hammer down and
> saying 'though shalt not do this', and only enable exceptions with a

These are great work!  I agree that we should phase out those old drivers
written to work with MTRR.

> > Therefore, PAT module protects from this case by tracking cache types
> > used for mapping physical ranges.  When a different cache type is
> > requested, is_new_memtype_allowed() checks if the request needs to be
> > failed or can be changed to the existing type.
>
> Do we have a map of what is allowed for PAT and non-PAT, similar to
> the one for MTRR effects above?

This type check and tracking code are part of PAT code, so there is no
check for the non-PAT case.

> It would seem we should want something similar for other architectures ?

As far as I know, other architectures does not support alias maps with
different cache types, either.  So, I agree that this is a common issue.

> But if there isn't much valid use for it, why not just rule this sort of
> stuff out and only make it an exception, by only having a few uses being
> allowed?

I agree that it should fail in general.  One exception is WB request, which
is allowed to be modified to any other type.  I think this is needed for
/dev/mem, which maps with WB without any knowledge of a target range.

> > I agree that the current implementation is fragile, and some interfaces
> > skip such check at all, ex. vm_insert_pfn().
>
> Ouch.

> > > So how do drivers set up WC or WB MMIO areas? Does none of our
> > > upstream video drivers do that?
> >
> > Drivers use ioremap family with a right cache type when mapping MMIO
> > ranges, ex. ioremap_wc().  They do not need to change the type to MMIO.
> >  RAM is different since it's already mapped with WB at boot-time.
> >  set_memory_*() allows us to change the type from WB, and put it back
> > to WB.
>
> Shouldn't set_memory_*() fail on IO memory? It does not today.

Agreed.  It should have had such check to begin with.

Thanks,
-Toshi

  Last update: 2016-03-04 22:21    [W:0.247 / U:0.288 seconds]