SubjectRe: [Xen-devel] MTRR on Xen - BIOS use and implications for Linux
On Tue, 2016-03-29 at 10:22 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@kernel.org>
> wrote:
>
> To be clear the requirement expressed here was needing at least to
> implement get_mtrr() on the Linux Xen guest side, it'd call the
> already implemented hypercall XENPF_read_memtype in turn. Toshi had
> hinted this was perhaps needed on the Linux Xen guest side given that
> the BIOS may have set up MTRRs on its own, so we needed the guest to
> be able to get the right type for a particular range. More on that
> below

No, I did not say that. :-)  I said it because you mentioned that you
wanted to disable MTRRs even though BIOS enabled MTRRs.

My point is that the kernel should not change the MTRR setup.  That is:
 - If BIOS enables MTRRs, then kernel needs to keep them enabled.
 - If BIOS disables MTRRs, then the kernel needs to keep them disabled.

Therefore, the kernel can keep MTRRs disabled on Xen guests.

I think you repeated the same questions in this email, so please refer my
previous reply for the rest.

Thanks,
-Toshi

  Last update: 2016-03-29 23:41    [W:0.067 / U:0.096 seconds]