SubjectRe: rcu_preempt self-detected stall on CPU from 4.5-rc3, since 3.17
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:22:57PM +0000, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> ----- On Mar 26, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Paul E. McKenney paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:

> >> At this point, I am up for trying pretty much anything. ;-)
> >>
> >> Will give it a go.
> >
> > And those certainly don't revert cleanly! Would patching the kernel
> > to remove the definition of TIF_POLLING_NRFLAG be useful? Or, more
> > to the point, is there some other course of action that would be more
> > useful? At this point, the test times are measured in weeks...
>
> Indeed, patching the kernel to remove the TIF_POLLING_NRFLAG
> definition would have an effect similar to reverting those two
> commits.
>
> Since testing takes a while, we could take a more aggressive
> approach towards reproducing a possible race condition: we
> could re-implement the _TIF_POLLING_NRFLAG vs _TIF_NEED_RESCHED
> dance, along with the ttwu pending lock-list queue, within
> a dummy test module, with custom data structures, and
> stress-test the invariants. We could also create a Promela
> model of these ipi-skip optimisations trying to validate
> progress: whenever a wakeup is requested, there should
> always be a scheduling performed, even if no further wakeup
> is encountered.
>
> Each of the two approaches proposed above might be a significant
> endeavor, and would only validate my specific hunch. So it might
> be a good idea to just let a test run for a few weeks with
> TIF_POLLING_NRFLAG disabled meanwhile.

This makes a lot of sense. I did some short runs, and nothing broke
too badly. However, I left some diagnostic stuff in that obscured
the outcome. I disabled the diagnostic stuff and am running overnight.
I might need to go further and revert some of my diagnostic patches,
but let's see where it is in the morning.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2016-03-27 04:21    [W:0.111 / U:0.304 seconds]