SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Ceph updates for 4.6-rc1
From
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Sage Weil <sage@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> This series is based on a recent merge of Al's tree to avoid conflicts
>> with his splice_dentry changes.
>
> Once again, and with feeling: please PLEASE stop doing these idiotic things.
>
> You should worry about *your* code. Don't worry about my merge. Don't
> worry about other trees. Make sure YOUR code is well-tested and
> stable, and make sure there is absolutely nothing questionable there.
>
> This whole idiotic "let's rebase on top of something else because of a
> tiny conflict" is a disease.
>
> I'm simply not pulling this. If you insist on sending me branches that
> have been rebased in the last day, then I will insist on just waiting
> for the next merge window.

Hi Linus,

I've seen the f2fs showdown, but this one is nothing like that. If you
look at Al's merge this is rebased on, it's a week old and we've run
the whole thing though our test suite more than once.

> It really is that simple.
>
> This pull request came in very late in the merge window, and the code
> clearly has had almost zero actual testing since it was recently
> rebased.

The commit f7380af04bac "ceph: don't bother with d_rehash() in
splice_dentry()" has been sitting in our integration branch since
around -rc7. The problem is Al took a *standalone* fs/ceph commit
through his tree.

> The fact that it avoids a merge conflict is not worth it.
>
> Stop doing this idiotic crazy thing. How many times do I have to tell
> people? When you rebase, you are throwing your old testing away, and
> you're also making me get new commits that are different from the
> linux-next commits.
>
> I'm not AT ALL interested in getting newly minted untested crap the
> last day of the merge window.

None of the testing has been thrown out. In fact, we always test
a rebased branch before sending the pull request to avoid post -rc1
breakages. A pull request based on a 4.5 tag would have been less
tested...

This really is a result of a miscommunication between us and Al.
Lesson learned. Please reconsider and pull.

Thanks,

Ilya

  Last update: 2016-03-26 22:41    [W:0.050 / U:0.196 seconds]