SubjectRe: Delete flush cache all in arm64 platform.
On 03/21/2016 03:08 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> [...]
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 04:07:47PM +0800, Chen Feng wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>
> Hi,
>
>> With 68234df4ea7939f98431aa81113fbdce10c4a84b
>> arm64: kill flush_cache_all()
>> The documented semantics of flush_cache_all are not possible to provide
>> for arm64 (short of flushing the entire physical address space by VA),
>> and there are currently no users; KVM uses VA maintenance exclusively,
>> cpu_reset is never called, and the only two users outside of arch code
>> cannot be built for arm64.
>>
>> While cpu_soft_reset and related functions (which call flush_cache_all)
>> were thought to be useful for kexec, their current implementations only
>> serve to mask bugs. For correctness kexec will need to perform
>> maintenance by VA anyway to account for system caches, line migration,
>> and other subtleties of the cache architecture. As the extent of this
>> cache maintenance will be kexec-specific, it should probably live in the
>> kexec code.
>>
>> This patch removes flush_cache_all, and related unused components,
>> preventing further abuse.
>>

>> This patch delete the flush_cache_all interface.
>
> As the patch states, it does so because the documented semantics are
> impossible to provide, as there is no portable mechanism to "flush" all
> caches in the system.
>
> Set/Way operations cannot guarantee that data has been cleaned to the
> PoC (i.e. memory), or invalidated from all levels of cache. Reasons
> include:
>
> * They may race against background behaviour of the CPU (e.g.
> speculation), which may allocate/evict/migrate lines. Depending on the
> cache topology, this may "hide" lines from subsequent Set/Way
> operations.
>
> * They are not broadcast, and do not affect other CPUs. Depending on the
> implemented cache coherency protocols, other CPUs may be able to
> acquire dirty lines, or retain lines in shared states, and hence these
> may not be operated on.
>
> * They do not affect system caches (which respect cache maintenance by
> VA in ARMv8-A).
>
> The only portable mechanism to perform cache maintenance to all relevant
> caches is by VA.
>
>> But if we use VA to flush cache to do cache-coherency with other
>> master(eg:gpu)
>>
>> We must iterate over the sg-list to flush by va to pa.
>>
>> In this way, the iterate of sg-list may cost too much time(sg-table to
>> sg-list) if the sglist is too long. Take a look at the
>> ion_pages_sync_for_device in ion.
>>
>> The driver(eg: ION) need to use this interface(flush cache all) to
>> *improve the efficiency*.
>
> As above, we cannot use Set/Way operations for this, and cannot provide
> a flush_cache_all interface.
>
> I'm not sure what to suggest regarding improving efficiency.
>
> Is walking the sglist the expensive portion, or is the problem the cost
> of multiple page-size operations (each with their own barriers)?

Last time I looked at this, it was mostly the multiple page-size operations.
Ion buffers can be big and easily bigger than the cache as well so flushing
8MB of buffer for a 2MB cache is really a performance killer. The Set/Way
operations are an improvement on systems where they can be used.

The way Ion does cache maintenance is full of sadness and despair in general.
Until everything gets a significant rework, the best option may be
minimization of code paths where cache operations are called.

> Thanks,
> Mark.

Thanks,
Laura

  Last update: 2016-03-21 17:41    [W:0.071 / U:0.052 seconds]