SubjectRe: NVMEM usage question
On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Eddie Huang wrote:

> Mediatek PMIC chip have some spare registers used to store information.
> The value of these registers will exist until user unplug battery or
> battery depletion. One of our usage example is store battery utilization

i.e. like battery-backed raid caches.

> in these spare registers. We want to implement NVMEM driver to
> read/write sparse registers, but binding document describe NVMEM is for
> "Non-volatile memory", and for hardware like eeprom, efuse. Since the

Users will expect nvmem to not go away on battery drain, so I don't think it
would be the best fit, semantically speaking.

Unless this is common enough that it would make sense to have a generic
quasi-non-volatile profile for nvmem, and publish that constraint to
userspace in a standard way...

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2016-03-17 17:41    [W:0.275 / U:0.252 seconds]