Subjectkernel pruning script..
From
I'm replying to a really old email, because I - once again - installed
this silly script that you wrote several years ago on a new machine.

So Bruce - how about we add this script to the kernel "tools"
directory, because it's actually very useful for anybody who uses
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO like I do (and clearly you at least used to
do too).

I think CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is really nice for various reasons
(not the least of which is just doing thing like

gitk $(uname -r)..

but also because it makes it easy to go back to previous kernels when
you're working on bisecting stuff etc).

I'll happily commit it as "tools/prune-kernel" or similar, but would
like to get an ok from you as the original author.

And if somebody has improvements for specific distros, maybe the
script will start getting improvements. And I won't have to copy it
from an old machine every time, because it will just be there with the
kernel source tree (and without a kernel source tree it's not needed).

Linus

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@fieldses.org> wrote:

> I run this by hand every now and then. I'm probably doing it all wrong.
>
> --b.
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # because I use CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO, not the same version again and
> # again, /boot and /lib/modules/ eventually fill up.
> # Dumb script to purge that stuff:
>
> ssh "root@$1" '
>
> for f in $(ls /lib/modules); do
> if rpm -qf "/lib/modules/$f" >/dev/null; then
> echo "keeping $f (installed from rpm)"
> elif [ $(uname -r) = "$f" ]; then
> echo "keeping $f (running kernel) "
> else
> echo "removing $f"
> rm -f "/boot/initramfs-$f.img" "/boot/System.map-$f"
> rm -f "/boot/vmlinuz-$f" "/boot/config-$f"
> rm -rf "/lib/modules/$f"
> new-kernel-pkg --remove $f
> fi
> done
> '

  Last update: 2016-02-08 21:21    [W:0.051 / U:0.760 seconds]