SubjectRe: [llvm-dev] [isocpp-parallel] Proposal for new memory_order_consume definition
From
No, you really don't need undefined behavior in the standard in order
to enable bug-finding.

The standard could've (and still could...) make signed integer
overflow "implementation-defined" rather than "undefined". Compilers
would thus be required to have *some documented meaning* for it (e.g.
wrap 2's-complement, wrap 1's-complement, saturate to min/max, trap,
or whatever...), but must not have the current "Anything goes! I can
set your cat on fire if the optimizer feels like it today!" behavior.

Such a change to the standard would not reduce any ability to do error
checking, as compilers that want to be helpful could perfectly-well
define it to trap at runtime when given certain compiler flags, and
perfectly well warn you of your dependence upon unportable
implementation-defined behavior (or, that your program is going to
trap), at build-time.

[Sending again as a plain-text email, since a bunch of mailing lists
apparently hate on multipart messages that even contain a text/html
part...]