SubjectRe: [BUG REPORT] use of unreachable() masks uninitialized variables warnings
From
On 2/11/16, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:12:12AM -0700, Jeff Merkey wrote:
>>
>> That's good to know, they could be false positives, but it was kind of
>> wierd behavior caused by that macro.
>
> If it is true, it sounds more like a compiler bug to me. Any
> statements a BUG() call are unreachable. If the compiler assumes that
> in the case of:
>
> if (a)
> BUG();
> printf("foo bar\n");
>
> That the printf is not reachable, that's a compiler bug. And not a
> problem in the BUG() macro.
>
> It might be that it's worthwhile to use other static code analysis
> tools. Many people will look at warnings from Coverity and clang to
> find potential problems, since these tend to find more warnings than
> just using gcc. The problem with some of these, including Coverity,
> is that they can be __too__ noisy, and if 90% of the warnings are
> false positives, most people won't take the time to weed out several
> dozen bogus warnings to find the one good one.

Did you remove the calls to unreachable() before you did the build?
Remove the call to that function from the BUG() macro, then do a
build, and tell me I am seeing things.

Jeff

  Last update: 2016-02-12 06:41    [W:0.089 / U:0.936 seconds]