SubjectRe: netlink: GPF in sock_sndtimeo
On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2016-12-08 22:57, Cong Wang wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com> wrote:
>> > I also tried to extend Cong Wang's idea to attempt to proactively respond to a
>> > NETLINK_URELEASE on the audit_sock and reset it, but ran into a locking error
>> > stack dump using mutex_lock(&audit_cmd_mutex) in the notifier callback.
>> > Eliminating the lock since the sock is dead anways eliminates the error.
>> >
>> > Is it safe? I'll resubmit if this looks remotely sane. Meanwhile I'll try to
>> > get the test case to compile.
>>
>> It doesn't look safe, because 'audit_sock', 'audit_nlk_portid' and 'audit_pid'
>> are updated as a whole and race between audit_receive_msg() and
>> NETLINK_URELEASE.
>
> This is what I expected and why I originally added the mutex lock in the
> callback... The dumps I got were bare with no wrapper identifying the
> process context or specific error, so I'm at a bit of a loss how to
> solve this (without thinking more about it) other than instinctively
> removing the mutex.

Netlink notifier can safely be converted to blocking one, I will send
a patch.

But I seriously doubt you really need NETLINK_URELEASE here,
it adds nothing but overhead, b/c the netlink notifier is called on
every netlink socket in the system, but for net exit path, that is
relatively a slow path.

Also, kauditd_send_skb() needs audit_cmd_mutex too.

I will send a formal patch.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2016-12-10 10:09    [W:0.141 / U:0.536 seconds]