SubjectRe: [HMM v14 05/16] mm/ZONE_DEVICE/unaddressable: add support for un-addressable device memory
On 12/09/2016 02:07 AM, Jerome Glisse wrote:

>> > I don't think you should be stealing physical address space for things
>> > that don't and can't have physical addresses. Delegating this to
>> > individual device drivers and hoping that they all get it right seems
>> > like a recipe for disaster.
> Well i expected device driver to use hmm_devmem_add() which does not take
> physical address but use the above logic to pick one.
>

>> > Maybe worth adding to the changelog:
>> >
>> > This feature potentially breaks memory hotplug unless every
>> > driver using it magically predicts the future addresses of
>> > where memory will be hotplugged.
> I will add debug printk to memory hotplug in case it fails because of some
> un-addressable resource. If you really dislike memory hotplug being broken
> then i can go down the way of allowing to hotplug memory above the max
> physical memory limit. This require more changes but i believe this is
> doable for some of the memory model (sparsemem and sparsemem extreme).

Did not get that. Hotplug memory request will come within the max physical
memory limit as they are real RAM. The address range also would have been
specified. How it can be added beyond the physical limit irrespective of
which we memory model we use.

  Last update: 2016-12-26 10:12    [W:0.082 / U:0.252 seconds]