SubjectRe: [4.10, panic, regression] iscsi: null pointer deref at iscsi_tcp_segment_done+0x20d/0x2e0
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:59:06AM -0800, Chris Leech wrote:
>> Thanks Dave,
>>
>> I'm hitting a bug at scatterlist.h:140 before I even get any iSCSI
>> modules loaded (virtio block) so there's something else going on in the
>> current merge window. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure there's
>> nothing iSCSI needs fixing for.
>
> OK, so before this slips through the cracks.....
>
> Linus - your tree as of a few minutes ago still panics immediately
> when starting xfstests on iscsi devices. It appears to be a
> scatterlist corruption and not an iscsi problem, so the iscsi guys
> seem to have bounced it and no-one is looking at it.

Hmm. There's not much to go by.

Can somebody in iscsi-land please try to just bisect it - I'm not
seeing a lot of clues to where this comes from otherwise.

There clearly hasn't been anything done to drivers/scsi/*iscsi* since
4.9, so it's coming from elsewhere, presumably the block layer changes
as you say.

But I think we need iscsi people to pinpoint it a bit more, since
nobody else seems to be complaining.

Looking around a bit, the only even halfway suspicious scatterlist
initialization thing I see is commit f9d03f96b988 ("block: improve
handling of the magic discard payload") which used to have a magic
hack wrt !bio->bi_vcnt, and that got removed. See __blk_bios_map_sg(),
now it does __blk_bvec_map_sg() instead.

Maybe __blk_bvec_map_sg() would want that same

if (!bio->bi_vcnt)
return 0;

adding Christoph explicitly so that he can tell me why I'm a clueless
weenie. Although I suspect he's already on the scsi and block lists
and would have done so anyway.

> I'm disappearing for several months at the end of tomorrow, so I
> thought I better make sure you know about it. I've also added
> linux-scsi, linux-block to the cc list....

Thanks,

Linus

  Last update: 2016-12-22 00:22    [W:0.508 / U:0.036 seconds]