SubjectRe: console issue since 3.6, console=ttyS1 hangs
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 06:25:46PM -0600, Peter Hurley wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Nathan Zimmer <nzimmer@sgi.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Nathan,
> >>
> >> Couple of questions:
> >> 1. Was login over serial console setup and working on SLES 11? or was
> >> the 'console=ttyS1' only for debug output?
> >> I ask because console output doesn't use IRQs; iow, maybe the serial
> >> port w/ driver never actually worked.
> >> 2. Can you post dmesg for the SLES 11 setup? That would show if there
> >> were probe errors even on that.
> >>
> >> An alternative that should be equivalent to your previous setup is to
> >> build w/ CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=n
> >> Seems like your ACPI BIOS is buggy, but also that something else is using IRQ 3?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Peter Hurley
> >

> > 1) Yes I can confirm I used it to login sometimes.
> >
> > I built with CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=n and that seemed to work better, in that the system did not hang.
> > However I couldn't login on the serial and got these error messages, I suspect I broke something while trying different permutations.
> >
> > gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.136636 seconds
> > gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.180955 seconds
> > gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.161415 seconds
> > gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors
> >
> > It did boot all the way though.
> >
> > 2) attached log
>
> So I'm confused where this leaves us.
>
> In your OP, you claim to have gotten it working with a partial revert
> of commit 835d844d1a28 (but you didn't attach the partial revert so no
> one knows what you did); however, my suggestion should have been
> equivalent.

I apologize, if I was unclear. Your suggestion of CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=n did successfully boot and provide messages
across the console, and yes is basically equivelent to the revert.
Those warnings I just noticed in the dmesg and they weren't there before.

> Note that you have the serial port disabled in BIOS; that's why you're
> getting the probe error for PNP.
>
> Regards,
> Peter Hurley

Now when you say its diabled in bios, how can I be sure and double check that?
These bios screens do not have any mention of PNP settings.
I am getting output over the console (via ipmi) until the boot hangs.

Nate

  Last update: 2016-11-04 22:34    [W:0.158 / U:0.276 seconds]