SubjectRe: INFO: rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks with `kswapd` and `mem_cgroup_shrink_node`
On Wed 30-11-16 09:23:55, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 06:05:57PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, you got told: "ARRGH my benchmark goes all regress", or something
> > > along those lines. Didn't we recently dig out those commits for some
> > > reason or other?
> > >
> > > Finding out what benchmark that was and running it against this patch
> > > would make sense.
> > >
> > > Also, I seem to have missed, why are we going through this again?
> >
> > Well, the point I've brought that up is because having basically two
> > APIs for cond_resched is more than confusing. Basically all longer in
> > kernel loops do cond_resched() but it seems that this will not help the
> > silence RCU lockup detector in rare cases where nothing really wants to
> > schedule. I am really not sure whether we want to sprinkle
> > cond_resched_rcu_qs at random places just to silence RCU detector...
>
> Just in case there is any doubt on this point, any patch of mine adding
> cond_resched_rcu_qs() functionality to cond_resched() cannot go upstream
> without Peter's Acked-by.

Yeah, that is clear to me. I just wanted to clarify the "why are we
going through this again" part ;)

> Or did you have some other solution in mind?

Not really. The fact that cond_resched() cannot silence RCU stall
detector under some circumstances is sad. I believe we shouldn't
have two different APIs to control scheduling and RCU latencies because
that just asks for whack a mole games and some level of confusion...
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2016-11-30 18:34    [W:0.149 / U:0.036 seconds]