SubjectRe: wl1251 & mac address & calibration data
Date
On Thursday 24 November 2016 19:11:39 Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 05:49:33PM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:

> > > Just append it to NVS data and modify the size check accordingly?
> >
> > First that would mean to have request_firmware() function which
> > will not use direct VFS access, but instead use userspace helper.
>
> Permanent MAC is device specific init data, NVS is device specific
> init data => load together.
>
> The userspace helper stuff is only needed to get the data from
> the NAND calibration area on the fly.

But it is needed... and currently request_firmware() prefer direct VFS
access...

> > NVS data file with some default values (not suitable for usage) is
> > already present in linux-firmware and available in
> > /lib/firmware/...
>
> You mentioned NVS data is fixed size, so this should be enough?
>
> switch(loaded_size)
> case IMAGE_SIZE + MAC_SIZE:
> /* extract mac */
> /* fallthrough */
> case IMAGE_SIZE:
> /* load NVS */
> break;
> default:
> /* fail */
> }
>
> > Also I'm not sure if such thing is allowed by license:
> > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmwar
> > e.git/tree/LICENCE.ti-connectivity
>
> concating data is not a modification, otherwise you can't
> put the file in a filesystem.

Ok, if net maintainers agree.

> > > Yeah, so NOLO without U-Boot will depend on userspace to fixup
> > > DT.

> > > It may in the future?
> >
> > I already tried that, but I failed. I was not able to access N900's
> > nand from u-boot. No idea where was problem...
> >
> > And if somebody fix onenand in u-boot, then needs to reimplement
> > Nokia's proprietary parser of that partition where is stored NVS
> > and mac address && make this support in upstream u-boot.
>
> Are we talking about this?
>
> https://github.com/community-ssu/libcal/blob/master/cal.c
>
> That's ~1k loc for read-only.

Yes. There is also read-only alternative library:
https://github.com/pali/0xFFFF/blob/master/src/cal.c

But still, this is proprietary format useful only for one device (or
two) and I do not know if such thing could be accepted by u-boot
developers...

> Getting NAND working looks harder than porting this to me.

Right.

> > So... I doubt it will be in any future.
> >
> > + no men power
>
> yeah :(
>
> But with that reasoning you should just extract the NVS data
> from NAND and put it in your rootfs.

Not a clean solution. Some rootfs parts can used as readonly. And
normally rootfs is flashed into nand, so I still will say that roofs
(image) should not contain any device specific data.

> > > Actually with data loaded from DT you *can* load data quite early
> > > in the boot process, while your suggestions always require
> > > userspace. So you argument against yourself?
> >
> > You cannot add DTS in uboot (no support).
>
> AFAIK that's supported:
>
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/LinuxFDTBlob
>
> "Note that U-Boot makes some automatic modifications to the blob
> before passing it to the kernel - mainly adding and modifying
> information that is learnt at run-time."

I mean we do not have support for due to n900 nand.

> > And if you modify DTS on running kernel from userspace, then it is
> > too late when wl1251 is statically linked into kernel image.
> >
> > wl1251 will not wait until some userspace modify DTS and add
> > data...
>
> if (nvs info missing)
> return -EPROBE_DEFER;

Forever? Only N times? How long? Only N second?

Here we do not know if userspace is going to send data or not.

My guess is that such code will not be accepted into net/wireless
subsystem or drivers by maintainers.

> > But request_firmware() in fallback mode *can* wait for userspace so
> > wl1251 can postpone its operation until mdev/udev/whatever starts
> > listening for events and push needed firmware data to kernel.
>
> As you said one workaround is waiting. That's not a solution, that
> only works with request_firmware().

Yes, but request_firmware() uses interaction with userspace. Your
proposed solution does not do any interaction with userspace that some
process needs to fill missing data into DT.

And request_firmware() is already used for loading NVS data.

> > So no, there is no argument against... request_firmware() in
> > fallback mode with userspace helper is by design blocking and
> > waiting for userspace. But waiting for some change in DTS in
> > kernel is just nonsense.
>
> I would just mark the wlan device with status = "disabled" and
> enable it in the overlay together with adding the NVS & MAC info.

So if you think that this solution make sense, we can wait what net
wireless maintainers say about it...

For me it looks like that solution can be:

extending request_firmware() to use only userspace helper

and load mac address also via request_firmware() either by appending it
into NVS data or via separate call

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

  Last update: 2016-11-24 19:37    [W:0.158 / U:0.400 seconds]