SubjectRe: [HMM v13 01/18] mm/memory/hotplug: convert device parameter bool to set of flags
On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:27:15PM +0530, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
> On 11/21/2016 10:23 AM, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> >> Isn't it better to add a wrapper to arch_add/remove_memory and do those
> >> checks inside and then call arch_add/remove_memory to reduce the churn.
> >> If you need selectively enable MEMORY_UNADDRESSABLE that can be done with
> >> _ARCH_HAS_FEATURE
> >
> > The flag parameter can be use by other new features and thus i thought the
> > churn was fine. But i do not mind either way, whatever people like best.
>
> Right, once we get the device memory classification right, these flags
> can be used in more places.
>

> > [...]
> >> information
> >> accessed
> >>
> >> Can you please add some details on why -- migration needs them for example?
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean ? DAX ie persistent memory device is intended to be
> > use for filesystem or persistent storage. Hence memory migration does not apply
> > to it (it would go against its purpose).
>
> Why ? It can still be used for compaction, HW errors etc where we need to
> move between persistent storage areas. The source and destination can be
> persistent storage memory.

Well i don't think they intend to do migration for that, HW errors are hidden by
hardware itself so far. But yes if they care then they could use page migration.
So far it does not seems something any of the folks working on persistent memory
think useful.

Cheers,
Jérôme

  Last update: 2016-11-21 13:20    [W:1.531 / U:0.004 seconds]