SubjectRe: [RFC] v4l2 support for thermopile devices
Hi Matt and Hans,,

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 11:10:41PM -0700, Matt Ranostay wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Matt Ranostay <matt@ranostay.consulting> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> Hi Matt,

> >> Not anymore, but if you go back to kernel 3.6 then you'll find this driver:
> >>
> >> drivers/media/video/bw-qcam.c
> >>
> >> It was for a grayscale parallel port webcam (which explains why it was
> >> removed in 3.7 :-) ), and it used polling to get the pixels.
> >
> > Yikes parallel port, but I'll take a look at that for some reference :)
>

> So does anyone know of any software that is using V4L2_PIX_FMT_Y12
> currently? Want to test my driver but seems there isn't anything that
> uses that format (ffmpeg, mplayer, etc).

yavta can capture that, it doesn't convert it to anything else though.

<URL:http://git.ideasonboard.org/yavta.git>

> Raw data seems correct but would like to visualize it :). Suspect I'll
> need to write a test case application though

> >> I think it fits. It's a sensor, just with a very small resolution and
> >> infrared
> >> instead of visible light.

Agreed.

> >> I would recommend that. It's no big deal, as long as the new format is
> >> documented.

Agreed; in general such conversion on CPU does not belong to drivers (but
e.g. libv4l).

> >> Probably through a read-only control, but I'm not sure.

As this is the property of the format, I'd try to represent it as such. But
that's another discussion...

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ailus@iki.fi XMPP: sailus@retiisi.org.uk

  Last update: 2016-11-17 18:33    [W:0.093 / U:0.124 seconds]