SubjectRe: [RFC 0/8] Define coherent device memory node
On 10/27/2016 10:08 AM, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 09:32 PM, Jerome Glisse wrote:

>>> Because of coherent access between the CPU and the device, the intention is to use
>>> the same buffer (VMA) accessed between CPU and device interchangeably through out
>>> the run time of the application depending upon which side is accessing more and
>>> how much of performance benefit it will provide after the migration. Now driver
>>> managed memory is non LRU (whether we use ZONE_DEVICE or not) and we had issues
>>> migrating non LRU pages mapped in user space. I am not sure whether Minchan had
>>> changed the basic non LRU migration enablement code to support mapped non LRU
>>> pages well. So in that case how we are going to migrate back and forth between
>>> system RAM and device memory ?
>>
>> In my patchset there is no policy, it is all under device driver control which
>> decide what range of memory is migrated and when. I think only device driver as
>> proper knowledge to make such decision. By coalescing data from GPU counters and
>> request from application made through the uppler level programming API like
>> Cuda.
>>

> Right, I understand that. But what I pointed out here is that there are problems
> now migrating user mapped pages back and forth between LRU system RAM memory and
> non LRU device memory which is yet to be solved. Because you are proposing a non
> LRU based design with ZONE_DEVICE, how we are solving/working around these
> problems for bi-directional migration ?

Let me elaborate on this bit more. Before non LRU migration support patch series
from Minchan, it was not possible to migrate non LRU pages which are generally
driver managed through migrate_pages interface. This was affecting the ability
to do compaction on platforms which has a large share of non LRU pages. That series
actually solved the migration problem and allowed compaction. But it still did not
solve the migration problem for non LRU *user mapped* pages. So if the non LRU pages
are mapped into a process's page table and being accessed from user space, it can
not be moved using migrate_pages interface.

Minchan had a draft solution for that problem which is still hosted here. On his
suggestion I had tried this solution but still faced some other problems during
mapped pages migration. (NOTE: IIRC this was not posted in the community)

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/minchan/linux.git with the following
branch (non-lru-mapped-v1r2-v4.7-rc4-mmotm-2016-06-24-15-53)

As I had mentioned earlier, we intend to support all possible migrations between
system RAM (LRU) and device memory (Non LRU) for user space mapped pages.

(1) System RAM (Anon mapping) --> Device memory, back and forth many times
(2) System RAM (File mapping) --> Device memory, back and forth many times

This is not happening now with non LRU pages. Here are some of reasons but before
that some notes.

* Driver initiates all the migrations
* Driver does the isolation of pages
* Driver puts the isolated pages in a linked list
* Driver passes the linked list to migrate_pages interface for migration
* IIRC isolation of non LRU pages happens through page->as->aops->isolate_page call
* If migration fails, call page->as->aops->putback_page to give the page back to the
device driver

1. queue_pages_range() currently does not work with non LRU pages, needs to be fixed

2. After a successful migration from non LRU device memory to LRU system RAM, the non
LRU will be freed back. Right now migrate_pages releases these pages to buddy, but
in this situation we need the pages to be given back to the driver instead. Hence
migrate_pages needs to be changed to accommodate this.

3. After LRU system RAM to non LRU device migration for a mapped page, does the new
page (which came from device memory) will be part of core MM LRU either for Anon
or File mapping ?

4. After LRU (Anon mapped) system RAM to non LRU device migration for a mapped page,
how we are going to store "address_space->address_space_operations" and "Anon VMA
Chain" reverse mapping information both on the page->mapping element ?

5. After LRU (File mapped) system RAM to non LRU device migration for a mapped page,
how we are going to store "address_space->address_space_operations" of the device
driver and radix tree based reverse mapping information for the existing file
mapping both on the same page->mapping element ?

6. IIRC, it was not possible to retain the non LRU identify (page->as->aops which will
defined inside the device driver) and the reverse mapping information (either anon
or file mapping) together after first round of migration. This non LRU identity needs
to be retained continuously if we ever need to return this page to device driver after
successful migration to system RAM or for isolation/putback purpose or something else.

All the reasons explained above was preventing a continuous ping-pong scheme of migration
between system RAM LRU buddy pages and device memory non LRU pages which is one of the
primary requirements for exploiting coherent device memory. Do you think we can solve these
problems with ZONE_DEVICE and HMM framework ?

  Last update: 2016-10-27 09:03    [W:0.863 / U:0.372 seconds]