SubjectRe: Disabling an interrupt in the handler locks the system up
On 23/10/2016 01:10, Mason wrote:

> Maybe the fact that disable_irq locks the system up is an orthogonal
> issue that needs to be fixed anyway.

disable_irq_nosync() eventually calls irq_disable()

void irq_disable(struct irq_desc *desc)
{
irq_state_set_disabled(desc);
if (desc->irq_data.chip->irq_disable) {
desc->irq_data.chip->irq_disable(&desc->irq_data);
irq_state_set_masked(desc);
} else if (irq_settings_disable_unlazy(desc)) {
mask_irq(desc);
}
}

irq_disable() is a NOP on my platform, because the intc driver does
not implement irq_disable, and the second test is false as well in
this instance.

The function's description is interesting.

/**
* irq_disable - Mark interrupt disabled
* @desc: irq descriptor which should be disabled
*
* If the chip does not implement the irq_disable callback, we
* use a lazy disable approach. That means we mark the interrupt
* disabled, but leave the hardware unmasked. That's an
* optimization because we avoid the hardware access for the
* common case where no interrupt happens after we marked it
* disabled. If an interrupt happens, then the interrupt flow
* handler masks the line at the hardware level and marks it
* pending.
*
* If the interrupt chip does not implement the irq_disable callback,
* a driver can disable the lazy approach for a particular irq line by
* calling 'irq_set_status_flags(irq, IRQ_DISABLE_UNLAZY)'. This can
* be used for devices which cannot disable the interrupt at the
* device level under certain circumstances and have to use
* disable_irq[_nosync] instead.
*/

(I assume "chip" and "interrupt chip" refer to the same abstraction.)

I took a look at commit e9849777d0e27, but my brain dumped core on
the notions of "disabling unlazy" and "disabling a disable".

* IRQ_DISABLE_UNLAZY - Disable lazy irq disable

For the record, setting the IRQ_DISABLE_UNLAZY flag for this device
makes the system lock-up disappear.

Regards.

  Last update: 2016-10-24 18:13    [W:0.109 / U:0.200 seconds]