SubjectRe: Hexagon-setup: Combine four seq_printf() calls into one call in show_cpuinfo()
>> Is it really so difficult to interpret the suggested construction
>> of a single (and relatively small) format string?
>
> It's not so difficult, so much as it makes things worse. It's easier
> the way it originally was.

Thanks for your view on this refactoring approach.

> It might be interesting to see if the compiler could be taught
> to collapse the function calls,

How does this wish fit to your previous rejection?

> but (a) this isn't performance critical,

This can be.

> and (b) the number of bytes saved is really tiny.

I imagine that the corresponding code and data size reduction could
be occasionally useful, couldn't it?

> But at least if the compiler was doing the work, it would at least deal with
> it everywhere.

I would find such an optimisation possibility also nice.

Can it become acceptable to achieve a similar effect by the application
of scripts for the semantic patch language in the meantime?

Regards,
Markus

  Last update: 2016-10-21 19:34    [W:0.081 / U:0.108 seconds]