SubjectRe: Improving software around DMA API usage?
> If you want to do something that might be useful, you could look into the
> problem of missing checks for dma mapping failure. There is nice slide
> presenatation about the issue:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/SamsungOSG/shuah-khan-dmamaperror

Thanks for your suggestion about the software development idea
"Detecting Silent Data Corruptions using Linux DMA Debug API"
by Shuah Khan (from the year 2013).

> The slides are from a few years ago, but I did a small test recently,
> and the problem seems to persist.

Does this information indicate anything about the corresponding software
development attention?

> This needs to be done slowly and carefully, because when there is a failure,
> you need to figure out what to do to clean up and what value to return.

I imagine that some tools can help here again with static source code analysis,
can't they?

> There is no point to clean up all of the other checkpatch errors in the file
> at the same time.

Do you prefer to leave them over for newcomers? ;-)

> Just stay on the problem at hand.

* Can further evolution also around software like "Coccinelle" help to improve
the described situation?

* Are the chances becoming better around advanced data flow analysis
by other analysis and design approaches?

Regards,
Markus

  Last update: 2016-10-21 13:38    [W:0.046 / U:0.448 seconds]