    SubjectRe: MD-RAID: Use seq_putc() in three status functions?
    >> * Is a string pointer often longer than a byte?
    >>
    > Always.

    I have got doubts for this specific information.

    > (Which up to now I thought was basic programming knowledge...)

    By the way:
    Run time environments still exist where the size of a pointer can be also
    just one byte, don't they?

    >> How many results would we like to clarify from various hardware
    >> and software combinations?
    >>
    > See above. At the moment _any_ test result from your side would do.

    I imagine that another single result might not be representative.
    How many lessons from test statistics will usually be also relevant here?

    >> How important are the mentioned functions for you within the Linux
    >> programming interface so far?
    >>
    > Not very. The interface is only used in a slow path, and the execution
    > time doesn't affect I/O performance in any way.

    Thanks for another interesting information.

    >>> Case in point: with your patch the x86_64 compiler generates nearly
    >>> identical code for driver/md/raid1.c, but with one instruction _more_
    >>> after your patch has been applied.
    >>
    >> Which software versions and command parameters did you try out
    >> for this information (from an unspecified run time environment)?
    >>
    > # gcc --version
    > gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.8.5

    Thanks for this detail.

    * Did you choose any special optimisation settings for your quick check?

    * Will any compilation results matter if "optimisation" would be
    switched off there?

    > I'm still waiting from results from your side.

    Would any other software developers or testers dare to add related information?

    Regards,
    Markus

      Last update: 2016-10-17 13:19    [W:2.195 / U:0.044 seconds]