    SubjectRe: [dm-devel] WANTED new maintainer for Linux/md (and mdadm)
    On 21.12.2015 07:10, NeilBrown wrote:

    > hi,
    > I became maintainer for md (Linux Software RAID) in late 2001 and on
    > the whole it has been fun and a valuable experience. But I have been
    > losing interest in recent years (https://lwn.net/Articles/511073/) and
    > as was mentioned at the kernel summit, I would like to resign. Some
    > years ago I managed to hand over nfsd to the excellent Bruce Fields,
    > but I do not seem to have the gift that Linus has of attracting
    > maintainers. While there are a number of people who know quite a bit
    > about md and/or have contributed to development, there is no obvious
    > candidate for replacement maintainer - no one who has already been
    > doing significant parts of the maintainer role.
    >
    > So I have decided to fall back on the mechanism by which I ended up
    > being maintainer in the first place. I will create a vacuum and hope
    > someone fills it (yes: I was sucked-in....). So as of 1st February
    > 2016 I will be resigning.
    >
    > At the kernel summit in October Linus talked about the value of
    > maintainership teams (https://lwn.net/Articles/662979/). I think it
    > would be great if a (small) team formed to continue to oversee md
    > rather than just a single individual (or maybe the dm team could extend
    > to include md??). If I had managed to be part of a team rather than
    > "going it alone" for so long, I might feel less tired of the whole
    > thing now.
    >
    > I don't see it as my place to appoint that team or any individuals, or
    > even to nominate any candidates. A very important attribute of a
    > maintainer is that they need to care about the code and the subsystem
    > and I cannot tell other people to care (or even know if they do). It
    > is really up to individuals to volunteer. A few people have been
    > mentioned to me in earlier less-public conversations. Any of them may
    > well be suitable, but I would rather they named themselves if
    > interested.
    >
    > So I'm hoping to get one or more volunteers to be maintainer:
    > - to gather and manage patches and outstanding issues,
    > - to review patches or get them reviewed
    > - to follow up bug reports and get them resolved
    > - to feed patches upstream, maybe directly to Linus,
    > maybe through some other maintainer, depending on what
    > relationships already exist or can be formed,
    > - to guide the longer term direction (saying "no" is important
    > sometimes),
    > - to care,
    > but also to be aware that maintainership takes real effort and time, as
    > does anything that is really worthwhile.
    >
    > This all applies to mdadm as well as md (except you would ultimately
    > *be* upstream for mdadm, not needing to send it anywhere). Even if a
    > clear team doesn't form it would be great if different people
    > maintained mdadm and md.
    >
    > One part of the job that I have put a lot of time in to is following
    > the linux-raid@vger.kernel.org list and providing support. This makes
> [...]

    Hi Neil,

    I've been maintaining the custom Linux kernels, custom MD and custom
    mdadm since more than 4 years at ProfitBricks now. I've learned a lot
    from you. Thank you very much for all the efforts! I will definitely
    miss you in the MD/mdadm maintainer role. I especially like that you
    care for all Linux distributions/kernel versions. That's what a real
    upstream is about. I wish you all the best for the future!

    Unfortunately my public activity has been very limited as company
    interests always have priority. I would really like to help maintaining
    MD/mdadm upstream but I would need an employer who pays me for that and
    provides access to the required hardware.

    In my leisure time I already maintain the upstream Linux memory scanner
    project scanmem/GameConqueror.

    Cheers,
    Sebastian

      Last update: 2016-01-04 12:01    [W:2.164 / U:0.220 seconds]