SubjectRe: [RFC] CONFIG_FORCE_MINIMALLY_SANE_CONFIG=y
Date
Michal Marek <mmarek@suse.cz> writes:

> Dne 19.1.2016 v 13:29 Måns Rullgård napsal(a):
>> Force-enabling BLK_DEV_INITRD isn't going to make anyone change their
>> boot scripts.
>
> If you are on a regular distro, /sbin/installkernel should do the right
> thing: Run mkinitrd / dracut and if the tools are recent enough and
> there is a microcode update for your CPU, a cpio with the microcode blob
> will be prepended to the initrd. So this is more or less covered.

I'd be rather cross if something suddenly started building initrds on my
systems. To me they're just a useless level of complexity to maintain.
(I'm not denying they can be useful to others.)

>> I'd also like to get a coherent answer to why microcode update is
>> preferably done from an initrd as opposed to shortly after mounting
>> a regular disk. My systems seem perfectly happy doing the latter.
>
> It's not even done *from* the initrd but way earlier. We learned the
> hard way when Intel released a microcode update for Haswell which
> disabled TSX: Userspace did not expect the feature flags to change and
> previously valid instructions to start trapping. This can in principle
> happen again and with any vendor.

OK, I can see how that might be a problem.

--
Måns Rullgård

  Last update: 2016-01-19 14:01    [W:0.095 / U:0.468 seconds]