SubjectRe: Problems with printk logs and my driver
From
On 25 September 2015 at 16:45, Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-09-25 08:02, Jiri Kosina wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Felipe Tonello wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe a better description on Kconfig and/or comments on source code
>>> it's enough.
>>

>> I personally find the current Kconfig description:
>>
>> ===
>> config USB_KBD
>> tristate "USB HIDBP Keyboard (simple Boot) support"
>> depends on USB && INPUT
>> ---help---
>> Say Y here only if you are absolutely sure that you don't want
>> to use the generic HID driver for your USB keyboard and prefer
>> to use the keyboard in its limited Boot Protocol mode instead.
>>
>> This is almost certainly not what you want. This is mostly
>> useful for embedded applications or simple keyboards.
>>
>> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
>> module will be called usbkbd.
>>
>> If even remotely unsure, say N.
>> ===
>>
>> shouldn't leave anyone dounting, but people are getting confused again and
>> again nevertheless.
>>
> For some reason there seem to be a lot of people who go to configure there
> own kernel and don't read the help text (I understand if you've been
> building your own Linux kernel's for years and actually understand what a
> Kconfig option is really asking, but most people who I've heard of doing
> this have never built a kernel before in their life).
>
> On the other hand, can anyone think of any real reason to use this outside
> of embedded systems? I know there are a lot of distros that build this and
> the USB HIDBP mouse support as modules, but I have yet to hear/find any
> reports of hardware that _only_ works with this driver and not the generic
> HID driver. If this is the case, it might make sense to make this depend on
> EXPERT or at least remove the bit about 'simple keyboards'.

As regards renaming usbkbd.c, @Austin there are some reasons why you would
not read the Kconfig. As a beginner, I didn't even configure this part or
read the help text as I used the configuration that comes with Fedora, I
don't know if that's a valid excuse or not though. I'll leave you guys
decide, you're the experts!

As regards the issue with my capslock led I'm still looking into it.

  Last update: 2015-09-30 00:41    [W:0.108 / U:0.024 seconds]