SubjectRe: No more new fbdev drivers, please
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:51:38AM +0200, Noralf Trønnes wrote:

> Den 27.09.2015 18:08, skrev Emil Velikov:
> >Hi all,

> >>I have done some work [1] to try and make fbtft look more like the rest
> >>of the kernel (doc [2]), but that work will result in an almost complete
> >>rewrite of fbtft.
> > From a very quick skim fbtft looks pretty much like drm/panel. We
> >presently have 30+ 'simple' dsi panels, plus a bunch of spi ones. Have
> >you had a look at these ?
>
> Thanks, that was useful.
> I can use drm_panel to setup the controller (prepare) and do backlight
> (enable/disable), but I need a way to send framebuffer changes.
> I could do this:
>
> struct tinydrm_panel_funcs {
> int (*update)(struct drm_framebuffer *fb,
> struct drm_gem_cma_object *cma_obj,
> unsigned flags, unsigned color,
> struct drm_clip_rect *clips, unsigned num_clips);
> };
>
> struct tinydrm_panel {
> struct drm_panel panel;
> u32 width;
> u32 height;
> void *dev_private;
>
> const struct tinydrm_panel_funcs *funcs;
> };

I'm not sure whether putting the manual-update stuff into drm_panel is a
good idea - it's transport/bus (spi, dsi, ...) specific. Not sure how to
best solve that.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2015-09-29 09:21    [W:0.072 / U:0.556 seconds]