SubjectRe: Problems with printk logs and my driver
On 2015-09-25 08:02, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Felipe Tonello wrote:
>
>> Maybe a better description on Kconfig and/or comments on source code
>> it's enough.
>
> I personally find the current Kconfig description:
>
> ===
> config USB_KBD
> tristate "USB HIDBP Keyboard (simple Boot) support"
> depends on USB && INPUT
> ---help---
> Say Y here only if you are absolutely sure that you don't want
> to use the generic HID driver for your USB keyboard and prefer
> to use the keyboard in its limited Boot Protocol mode instead.
>
> This is almost certainly not what you want. This is mostly
> useful for embedded applications or simple keyboards.
>
> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> module will be called usbkbd.
>
> If even remotely unsure, say N.
> ===
>
> shouldn't leave anyone dounting, but people are getting confused again and
> again nevertheless.

For some reason there seem to be a lot of people who go to configure
there own kernel and don't read the help text (I understand if you've
been building your own Linux kernel's for years and actually understand
what a Kconfig option is really asking, but most people who I've heard
of doing this have never built a kernel before in their life).

On the other hand, can anyone think of any real reason to use this
outside of embedded systems? I know there are a lot of distros that
build this and the USB HIDBP mouse support as modules, but I have yet to
hear/find any reports of hardware that _only_ works with this driver and
not the generic HID driver. If this is the case, it might make sense to
make this depend on EXPERT or at least remove the bit about 'simple
keyboards'.

[unhandled content-type:application/pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2015-09-25 18:01    [W:0.071 / U:0.096 seconds]