SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Ext3 removal, quota & udf fixes
From
On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Darrick J. Wong
<darrick.wong@oracle.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 05:52:01PM +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
>> On the flip side, there does not appear to be any good reason for
>> keeping the ext3 driver around because if there ever is a case where an
>> old kernel is required to mount an ext3 filesystem then it appears the
>> ext4 developers would consider it a bug.
>
> Yes, that would be a bug.

So the thing I'm happy to see is that the ext4 developers seem to
unanimously agree that maintaining ext3 compatibility is part of their
job, and nobody seems to be arguing for keeping ext3 around. As long
as any possible regressions from ext3 removal have a clear "yup, it's
on us" from the ext4 people, I don't mind removing it. I was
expecting ext4 people to not be thrilled about supporting possible
legacy cases.

As a result, I'm personally convinced. I'll get around to the
filesystem pulls tomorrow unless something unexpected happens, and
expect to pull Jan's ext3-removal tree unless somebody suddenly speaks
up.

Thanks,

Linus

  Last update: 2015-09-03 02:01    [W:0.833 / U:0.008 seconds]