SubjectRe: Problems loading firmware using built-in drivers with kernels that use initramfs.
On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 04:13:51PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com> wrote:

> >> Right so this is an open question. I suggested something like the above
> >> since the deferred probe documentation on drivers/base/dd.c states:
> >>
> >> * Sometimes driver probe order matters, but the kernel doesn't always
> >> have
> >> * dependency information
> >>
> >> I'm alluding that we consider *avoiding* -EPROBE_DEFER for areas of the
> >> kernel where some work can be done to not only list the dependency
> >> the information from the driver but also we know we can get it from
> >> the kernel. In this case I do believe we could not only express the
> >> requirement but also wait for it in the kernel. Before we do that
> >> though I think it'd be good to do a grammar hunt to determine exactly
> >> how popular all this fw on probe needed really is.
> >

> > Ok. So some background why we need it in brcm80211 drivers. So as a wireless
> > network device driver the answer we got when asking for an event to load
> > firware is upon IF_UP for a registered net device. Because we try to do
> > things smart we query the firmware running on the device for capabilities
> > before we can register the net device hence we request the firmware during
> > probe. This may be specific to wireless drivers (Intel has same approach if
> > not mistaken) but I suspect there may be more.
>
> We have the same issue with input devices: before we can register one
> we need to set their capabilities and to know their capabilities we
> quite often need to load their firmware/config and query the device.

Should Arend's driver use async probe then?

IMHO its just as hacky as using -EPROBE_DEFER too, but its at least
preemptively hacky. Sadly I can't think of clear and clever way for the kernel
to know when firmware will be ready either... Would userspace know? Should the
kernel learn this from userspace ?

For instance, if init is going to use initramfs it can pivot_root() and later
send us a smoke signal when done, and it it doesn't it can also send us a smoke
signal. In the absence of such a hint being implemented I suppose -EPROBE_DEFER,
async probe or a notifier on pivot_root() is best effort we can do, but again
*eh*.

Luis

  Last update: 2015-09-03 02:01    [W:0.091 / U:0.380 seconds]