SubjectRe: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu
03.09.2015 00:39, Andy Lutomirski пишет:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@list.ru> wrote:

>>> What's the exact siglongjmp usage you have in mind? Signal context
>>> isn't normally involved AFAIK.
>> dosemu needs 2 return pathes:
>> 1. to DOS code
>> 2. to 64bit code (dosemu is not all in a sighandler, right?)
>>
>> How it is currently achieved:
>> dosemu1:
>> 1. sigreturn() + iret (to DOS)
>> 2. modify sigcontext -> sigreturn() (to 64bit asm helper)
>>
>> dosemu2:
>> 1. sigreturn() + iret (to DOS)
>> 2. modify sigcontext -> sigreturn() -> longjmp() (to 64bit C-coded)
> So you're modifying sigcontext such that it returns to a C function
> that calls longjmp?
Yes.

>> How dosemu2 is supposed to do this:
>> 1. sigreturn() (to DOS)
>> 2. siglongjmp() (to 64bit C-coded)
> This should work fine on any kernel, right?
1 - not.
2 - maybe.
If, as you say, siglongjmp() restores SS, I need to try it out.
(there is also a problem that most siglongjmp() implementations
are incompatible with sigaltstack(), but this is not what you can fix).

> The main problem will be
> that you presumably need to remember the old context so you can go
> back to DOS, I assume. So SS needs to be there somewhere.
Its fine if you always save SS to sigcontext.
This is what you proposed already and I think its fine.
dosemu saves entire sigcontext before going out to 64bit.

>>> For 64-bit delivery, ignoring backwards compatibility, delivering
>>> signals with ss = __USER_DS would be the right solution, I think: it's
>>> trivial and it works. Because of backwards compatibility, we need to
>> ... add the SA_hyz flag.
>> I don't understand why do you constantly ignore that part as
>> if it was never spelled. Lets discuss the proposal as a whole, rather
>> than with the random bits thrown away. The flag is exactly for
>> backward compatibility, so why do you present it as a problem
>> without the context of the new flag?
> For backwards compat, we either need the default behavior to be
> unchanged, or we need the default behavior to be something that works
> with existing dosemu. For existing dosemu, the only interesting cases
> (I think) are signal delivery from *valid* 16-bit context, in which
> case we need to preserve SS so that the signal handler can read it out
> with mov ..., %ss, and sigreturn to 64-bit mode for the IRET
> trampoline. For sigreturn, IIUC old dosemu will replace the saved CS
> with a 64-bit code segment selector and won't touch the saved SS
> because it doesn't know about the saved SS. Those dosemu versions
> don't care what SS actually contains after sigreturn, because they're
> immediately going to change it again using IRET. So we just need to
> make sure we return without faulting.
>
> New dosemu2 would like to sigreturn directly back to 16-bit mode, so
> it needs the kernel to honor the saved ss value and restore it,
> possibly changed by dosemu.
>
> We obviously can't require old dosemu to set an SA flag to keep
> working. But, if we can get away with it, I think it's somewhat
> preferable not to require new DOSEMU to set an SA flag either.
>
> This has one major benefit at least: if new dosemu loads some random
> library that installs some async signal handler (SIGALRM for example),
> everything will work with regard to CS and SS.
This case is covered if we do both things together: use
your heuristic when SA_hyz is not set, and don't use it
when its set. In this case dosemu2 will be able to request
the proper SS delivery for its sighandlers, but the 3rd-party
sighandlers will work too.
I think we have never discussed the possibility of doing
both things together, even though I have proposed it many
times.
After discussing this full-blown solution, we can think about
reducing it, either by removing the heuristic or by removing
SA_hyz, but discussing the full one would be nice too.
Your opinion is likely that no one will use this SA_hyz in
presence of the heuristic that "seems to work anyway".
But in the light of extending it for TLS (with a new flag),
I wouldn't be so sure. You can also document it as a
needed flag when user code touches SS, and then it will
be used. dosemu1 code that doesn't use it, will eventually
be forgotten. So IMHO whether it will be used, is fully up
to how will you market it. :)

  Last update: 2015-09-03 00:41    [W:0.463 / U:0.044 seconds]