SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Ext3 removal, quota & udf fixes
On 2015-09-02 07:58, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:39:45 -0400
> Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes. It is logical to remove the old ext2 drive, because there are
>>> more computers with ext3 that ext2. Ext2 is obsolete by existing
>>> technologies.
>>>
>> NO, it is not logical. A vast majority of Android smartphones in the
>> wild use ext2, as do a very significant portion of embedded systems that
>> don't have room for the few hundred kilobytes of extra code that the
>> ext4 driver has in comparison to ext2.
>
> Would it be possible to discard the code used for ext4 and ext3
> features at module init time? So you could do something like:
>
> modprobe ext4 no_ext4 no_ext3
>
> and all the space used by those functions would be freed and the
> filesystem driver would mark all the ext3/ext4 features as
> unsupported.

Personally, I think this is a great idea. It would allow people who
need the low memory usage to transition over to the ext4 driver while
keeping the memory usage low. In such a case, I would almost suggest
making an alias for the ext4 module (extfs maybe?) as modprobe ext4
no_ext4 has the potential to significantly confuse people.

[unhandled content-type:application/pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2015-09-02 16:01    [W:0.114 / U:0.032 seconds]