SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Ext3 removal, quota & udf fixes
On 2015-09-02 01:46, Raymond Jennings wrote:
> On 09/01/15 20:30, Albino B Neto wrote:
>>> Yes, you can go back to ext3-only. In fact, we do *not* automatically
>>> upgrade the file system to use ext4-specific features.
>>> Actually, we do guarantee this. It's considered poor form to
>>> automatically change the superblock to add new file system features in
>>> a way that would break the ability for the user to roll back to an
>>> older kernel. This isn't just for ext3->ext4, but for new ext4
>>> features such as metadata checksumming. The user has to explicitly
>>> enable the feature using "tune2fs -O new_feature /dev/sdXX".
>> Yeah!

>>> NO, it is not logical. A vast majority of Android smartphones in the
>>> wild
>>> use ext2, as do a very significant portion of embedded systems that
>>> don't
>>> have room for the few hundred kilobytes of extra code that the ext4
>>> driver
>>> has in comparison to ext2.
>> Ext2 portion embedded and Ext3 many machines.
>
> So basically the game plan is gutting ext3 because code-dupe with ext4,
> but keep ext2 because ext4 is too big for embedded to outright replace
> ext2?
>
> Hmm...are there any embedded systems out there that use ext3 and can fit
> its code ext3 but not ext4?
Probably, but I don't know of any myself. TBH, the systems that use
ext2 because of space savings are usually ones with less than 64M of
RAM, which is becoming a smaller and smaller market share.

[unhandled content-type:application/pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2015-09-02 15:41    [W:2.121 / U:0.248 seconds]