SubjectRe: [4.2] commit d59cfc09c32 (sched, cgroup: replace signal_struct->group_rwsem with a global percpu_rwsem) causes regression for libvirt/kvm
Hello,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 03:36:34PM +0200, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> >> The problem seems to be that the newly used percpu_rwsem does a
> >> rcu_synchronize_sched_expedited for all write downs/ups.
> >
> > Can you try:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulmck/linux-rcu.git dev.2015.09.11ab
>
> yes, dev.2015.09.11a seems to help, thanks. Getting rid of the expedited hammer was
> really helpful - I guess.

Ah, that's nice. I mentioned this in the original patchset but
percpu_rwsem as previously implemented could be too heavy on the
writer side for this path and I was planning to implement rwsem based
lglock if this blows up. That said, if Oleg's changes makes the issue
go away, all the better.

> > those include Oleg's rework of the percpu rwsem which should hopefully
> > improve things somewhat.
> >
> > But yes, pounding a global lock on a big machine will always suck.
>
> By hacking out the fast path I actually degraded percpu rwsem to a real global lock, but
> things were still a lot faster.
> I am wondering why the old code behaved in such fatal ways. Is there some interaction
> between waiting for a reschedule in the synchronize_sched writer and some fork code
> actually waiting for the read side to get the lock together with some rescheduling going
> on waiting for a lock that fork holds? lockdep does not give me an hints so I have no clue :-(

percpu_rwsem is a global lock. My rough suspicion is that probably
the writer locking path was taking too long (especially if the kernel
has preemption disabled) making the writers getting backed up badly
starving the readers.

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2015-09-15 16:21    [W:0.211 / U:0.200 seconds]