SubjectRe: [llvmlinux] percpu | bitmap issue? (Cannot boot on bare metal due to a kernel NULL pointer dereference)
From
On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
>
>> > I invite you to join the discussion at LLVMLinux... As I know... "YES, you
>> > can." Linux x86/x86_64 (assembler) Kung-Fu. ( I admit I have not these skillz.
>> > )
>>
>> Its a matter of time for me; I simply do not have enough time as it is so I have
>> to make choices.
>
> We are also willing to apply clean, sensible patches.
>
> Alas that collection of llvm patches quoted in this thread:

> had quite a few objectionable hacks in them.

AFAICS LLVMLinux is still a work-in-progress project.

Three patches are labeled with "DO-NOT-UPSTREAM"...

DO-NOT-UPSTREAM scsi, osd, LLVMLinux: Remove __weak attribute
WORKAROUND DO-NOT-UPSTREAM x86, boot: Work around clang PR18415.
DO-NOT-UPSTREAM xen, LLVMLinux: Remove VLAIS from xen mmu

I cannot say much to the other patches - what status they have -
"reported to BTS and have no feedback" or "still discussed" or
whatever.

Some bug-reports are very old - especially in the LLLVM and CLANG BTS.

Can you be concrete on the patches which have in your eyes "a few
objectionable hacks in"?

From my side... How can the correbolation be improved...?

Linux kernel development <-> LLVMLinux development <-> LLVM/CLANG development

BTW, LLVMLinux is a project hosted at Linux Foundation.

I also remember the interview with Linus and c't magazine (German, I
bought this edition) where he talks about compiler and especially
using LLVM for compiling a Linux-kernel.

If you look at the git-logs, there are people found bugs using
LLVM/CLANG and fixed them.
Personally, I like the "verbose" output of LLVM/CLANG more than GCC v4.9.
I did not try any GCC v5.x.

Thanks.

- Sedat -

[1] http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2014-25-Linus-Torvalds-im-Interview-2449660.html

  Last update: 2015-09-14 12:21    [W:0.246 / U:0.380 seconds]