SubjectRe: wake_up_process implied memory barrier clarification
On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:39:23PM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 09/01, Boqun Feng wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 11:59:23AM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> > >
> > > And just in case, wake_up() differs in a sense that it doesn't even need
> > > that STORE-LOAD barrier in try_to_wake_up(), we can rely on
> > > wait_queue_head_t->lock. Assuming that wake_up() pairs with the "normal"
> > > wait_event()-like code.
>
> Looks like, you have missed this part of my previous email. See below.

I guess I need to think through this, though I haven't found any problem
in wake_up() if we remove the STORE-LOAD barrier in try_to_wake_up().
And I know that in wake_up(), try_to_wake_up() will be called with
holding wait_queue_head_t->lock, however, only part of wait_event()
holds the same lock, I can't figure out why the barrier is not needed
because of the lock.. I will read the code carefully to see whether I
miss something.

> > I think maybe I have a misunderstanding of barrier pairing.
>
> Or me. I can only say how it is supposed to work.
>
> > think that a barrier pairing can only happen:
>
> Well, no. See for example https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/16/310

This helps a lot, so does the LWN article it references:

https://lwn.net/Articles/573436/

The barrier pairing here is scenario 10 in that article. I'm sure that
is my misunderstanding of barrier pairing now, thank you!

> Or, say, the comment in completion_done().
>
> And please do not assume I can answer authoritatively the questions
> in this area. Fortunately we have paulmck/peterz in CC, they can
> correct me.

Your explanation and references help a lot, now I understand how the
barrier works in try_to_wake_up() ;-)

> Plus I didn't sleep today, not sure I can understand you correctly
> and/or answer your question ;)
>
> > One example of #2 pairing is the following sequence of events:
> >
> > Initially X = 0, Y = 0
> >
> > CPU 1 CPU 2
> > =========================== ================================
> > WRITE_ONCE(Y, 1);
> > smp_mb();
> > r1 = READ_ONCE(X); // r1 == 0
> > WRITE_ONCE(X, 1);
> > smp_mb();
> > r2 = READ_ONCE(Y);

> > { assert(!(r1 == 0 && r2 == 0)); // means if r1 == 0 then r2 == 1}
> >
> > If CPU 1 _fails_ to read the value of X written by CPU 1, r2 is
> > guaranteed to 1, which means assert(!(r1 == 0 && r2 == 0)) afterwards
> > wouldn't be triggered in any case.
> >
> > And this is actually the case of wake_up/wait, assuming that
> > prepare_to_wait() is called on CPU 1 and wake_up() is called on CPU 2,
>
> See above, wake_up/wait_event are fine in any case because they use
> the same lock.

I think I wanted to say wake_up_proccess() here, which calls
try_to_wake_up() directly, sorry about that mistake..

> But as for try_to_wake_up() you are right, we rely on STORE-MB-LOAD.
> Now let me quote another previous email,
>
> So in fact try_to_wake_up() needs mb() before it does
>
> if (!(p->state & state))
> goto out;
>
> But mb() is heavy, we can use wmb() instead, but only in this particular
> case: before spin_lock(), which guarantees that LOAD(p->state) can't leak
> out of the critical section. And since spin_lock() itself is the STORE,
> this guarantees that STORE(CONDITION) can't leak _into_ the critical section
> and thus it can't be reordered with LOAD(p->state).

This also helps a lot, thank you ;-)

> And I think that smp_mb__before_spinlock() + spin_lock() should pair
> correctly with mb(). If not - we should redefine it.
>
> > X is the condition and Y is the task state,
>
> Yes,
>
> > and replace smp_mb() with really necessary barriers, right?
>
> Sorry, can't understand this part...

I just want to be accurate by saying that, because the barrier in
try_to_wake_up() is not a smp_mb(), is a smp_mb__before_spinlock() +
spin_lock().

Regards,
Boqun

  Last update: 2015-09-02 03:21    [W:0.076 / U:0.068 seconds]