SubjectRe: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@amacapital.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:09 AM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Linus Torvalds
>> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

>>> I assume it was intentional. Why would Andy talk about "scaling" otherwise?
>
> It was actually an error. I assumed that, since the user version
> worked fine (at least for as long as I ran it) and the kernel version
> didn't (killed X and left a blinking cursor, no visible log messages
> even when run from a text console, and no obvious OOM recovery after a
> long wait) that it was a kdbus issue or issue with other kdbus
> clients.
>
> I'll play with it more today.

I added the missing sd_bus_unref call.

With userspace dbus, my program takes 95% CPU and dbus-daemon takes
88% CPU or so.

With kdbus, I see abuse-bus (my test), systemd-journald,
systemd-bus-proxy, auditd, gnome-shell, mission-control, sedispatch,
firewalld, polkitd, NetworkManager, systemd, avahi-daemon, audisp,
abrt-dump-jour* (whatever it's called -- it truncated), upowerd, and
systemd-logind all taking tons of CPU. I've listed them in decreasing
order of amount of CPU burned -- the top several are taking about as
much as is possible. Load average is over 13. That's if I run it
from a text console while I'm logged in to gnome in a different VT.

If I run the program from a graphical terminal, everything freezes so
hard that the cursor doesn't even make it to the next line when I hit
enter.

So I still claim that kdbus doesn't scale. I'm not even just saying
that it doesn't scale to large systems -- somewhat to my surprise, it
doesn't even seem to scale well enough for a mostly empty Rawhide
workstation system running just a graphical terminal. And I didn't
even try to find stress tests more interesting than connecting and
disconnecting in a loop.

FWIW, the old test (without the unref) appeared to be allocating 16M
of mapped kdbus pool every iteration, which seems unlikely to have
helped matters.

--Andy

  Last update: 2015-08-05 02:41    [W:0.089 / U:0.128 seconds]